Human Resources Specialist
United States, Alabama, Muscle Shoals
November 8th, 2022
Constellium Muscle Shoals is an aluminum manufacturing plant based in Alabama with over 1,200 employees. With its widest strip mill in the USA and a world-class recycling center, the site represents one of the largest sites within Constellium and is a world-class can recycling center, with the capacity to recycle nearly 20 billion cans per year. Muscle Shoals’ main product is aluminum can sheet for the packaging industry, particularly for beverage containers. It manufactures sheet used in all three components of an aluminum can, namely body stock, coated end stock and tab stock. Additionally, Muscle Shoals’ supplies Auto Body Sheet substrate to Constellium’s Bowling Green, Kentucky, site.
Human Resources Specialist
The HR Specialist is responsible for aligning the company’s business objectives with employees and management in designated business units. The position serves as a consultant to management on human resources-related issues. This role will assess and anticipate HR-related needs while developing integrated solutions.
• Provides Human Resources support to the Director of Engineering and Reliability and his/her organization.
• Familiar with the varying dynamics between APUs, and between production and maintenance, in order to help build a more consistent response across the plan to HR needs.
• Familiar with the technical differences in job duties and responsibilities among the technical, professional, and managerial positions that make up the teams in engineering and reliability.
• Participates in the daily flash meeting with the Reliability team in order to stay informed of activities and HR needs that may arise.
• Supports organizational planning, gap support, resource allocation and planning in bi-weekly APU and core roadmap reviews with the director, manager, and ManEx Specialist to discuss and plan response to HR needs specific to the business unit.
• Interacts with employees at every level across all shifts to provide avenues for bidirectional escalation and feedback.
• Works with business unit managers to provide consistent application of disciplinary actions when necessary.
• Works with business unit managers to aid in writing, implementing, and following through with Performance Improvement Plans when necessary.
• Consults with management, providing HR and policy guidance when appropriate.
• Manages and resolves complex employee relations issues. Conducts effective, thorough and objective investigations, often collaborating with safety and other HR Specialists, team members, and managers
• Schedules and administers exit interviews.
• Assists with talent acquisition - candidate selection, interviews, review and generation of feedback and processing applicants through to completion.
• Onboarding of new employees.
• Participates in engineering and technical career fairs with partner universities, community colleges, and high schools.
• Conducts routine cross functional discussion meetings to support multi-level understanding of opportunities and gaps.
• Continually monitors morale among the team members and escalates issues effectively.
• Works closely with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention
• Assists in identifying training needs for business units and collaborates with Maintenance ManEx team to ensure success of training and that objectives are met.
• Conducts training and monitoring/coaching of new hires and team mates.
• Collaborates with managers and team mates to support the paths for progression and development of team members to encourage growth.
• Collaborates with subject matter experts to maintain/update job descriptions in Engineering and Reliability.
• Resolves and communicates issues regarding benefits information to team members as needed.
• Monitors and communicates information to business unit leaders in regard to Family Medical Leave, extended absences, as needed.
• Assists with additional HR projects as needed.
Leadership competencies, technical skills requirement:
• Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, or related field required.
• 3-5 years’ experience in shop floor management preferred
• Experience in employment law and other government compliance regulations preferred.
• Strong business acumen, demonstrated ability to develop solutions, programs, and policies in congruence to the needs of the business.
• Strong relationship management skills – ability to interact with all levels of employees while building personal credibility and working relationships.
• Proficiency with computer-based software including Word, Excel, and Windows and the ability to learn in-house computer software.
Work is performed in an office environment where exposure to hazards is limited, as well as in a manufacturing environment with exposure to noise to 110 db, oil mist and fumes, temperature up to 100°F. Requires being on call at times, working some overtime daily and on weekends/holidays.