United States, Alabama, Muscle Shoals
January 30th, 2023
Job Summary: The Safety Specialist participates in the effort of establishing and maintaining a safe and healthful environment and culture for all employees, customers, visitors, and other community stakeholders to Constellium-Muscle Shoals site. Recommends, develops, and implements appropriate programs and activities that enhance the safety and health of employees, and contractors, as well as minimizes Constellium’s exposure to loss.
- Provide leadership for development and implementation of specific safety policies and programs. Maintain technical proficiency in key safety areas.
- Audit/Investigations: inspect and tour facilities to detect actual or potential hazards and recommend appropriate corrective action to eliminate or reduce the hazards.
- Facilitates investigations and analyzes incidents to identify trends in people safety information. Initiates corrective and preventative action plans, and communicates findings as appropriate. Assists APU Managers and supervisors to determine resolution and implement corrective actions.
- Recommend, justify, implement, and manage safety devices equipment, and/or products that help protect employees and contractors and mitigate losses.
- Provides proactive oversight and create, revise, implement, and support safety and health policies, procedures, and incident reduction initiatives.
- Serves as the interface for internal and external Health and Safety audits
- Drives continuous improvement through utilization of Safety program elements such as Leadership Safety Tours, Contained Hazards, Near Miss Program, 8D Incident Investigation, and other risk reduction programs.
- Develops policies and procedures aimed at increasing employee awareness of unsafe work practices or conditions.
- Reviews, approves and issues hot work permits.
- Assist in the development of confined space entry and rescue procedures
- Ensures safety and health programs for Constellium-Muscle Shoals comply with safety, laws and regulations at Federal, State, and local government levels.
- Establishes and improves safety programs by applying knowledge of current policies and regulations.
- Effectively researches and benchmarks health and safety regulations and best practices and recommend programs, and systems to ensure compliance.
- Assists Constellium-Muscle Shoals operations in maintaining a positive relationship with Federal, State, and local government safety, health, and environmental regulatory agencies.
- Bachelor’s degree in safety, industrial hygiene, engineering or related sciences with 1+ years of relevant experience or
- Associates degree or recognized safety certifications from an industry recognized program with 5+ years of EHS related experience or
- 10+ years of relevant safety experience in lieu of degrees or certifications.
- Certification by the Board of Certified Safety Professionals (preferred)
- Ability to schedule and balance time with minimal daily direction.
- Knowledge of applicable safety, environmental, and health regulations federal, state, and local safety and health related regulations, including OSHA.
- Exceptional problem solving and organizational skills
- Must be able to transfer technical information into layman’s terms for complete communication. Ability to interact and communicate at all levels of the organization.
- Knowledge of DOT, DHS, OSHA, and related regulatory agencies
- Result orientation, accountability, negotiation, problem solving, project and change management, and team working/building
- Good communication, high level of autonomy, collaboration and interpersonal skills are equally important
- Perform, understand and communicate detailed information analysis and evaluation, and have a good track record working effectively within a team-based environment
- Proficiency in computer programs / software such as Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, Access, Power Point, SAP
About Constellium: Constellium Muscle Shoals is an aluminum manufacturing plant based in Alabama with over 1,200 employees. With its widest strip mill in the USA and a world-class recycling center, the site represents one of the largest sites within Constellium and is a world-class can recycling center, with the capacity to recycle nearly 20 billion cans per year. Muscle Shoals’ main product is aluminum can sheet for the packaging industry, particularly for beverage containers. It manufactures sheet used in all three components of an aluminum can, namely body stock, coated end stock and tab stock. Additionally, Muscle Shoals’ supplies Auto Body Sheet substrate to Constellium’s Bowling Green, Kentucky, site.
Constellium is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.