Technical Project Leader
France, Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, Voreppe
February 17th, 2023
Technical Project Leader
Constellium is a world leader in the development and manufacture of high value-added aluminium products and solutions for a wide range of markets and applications, focusing in particular on aerospace, automotive and packaging. Constellium also has nearly 12,000 employees worldwide.
We are committed to minimizing the environmental impact of our operations and improving the life cycle footprint of aluminium throughout the value chain. In our company, safety is essential, it is one of our core values without compromise. Our Research and Technology Center, C-TEC Constellium Technology Center, based in Grenoble (Voreppe - 38), employs about 240 people.
By joining our company, you will discover a multicultural company (more than 18 nationalities) which is committed to diversity and the well-being of its employees. You will also discover an R&D center rich by its expertise and by the benevolence of its employees.
In the context of a replacement, C-TEC is hiring a Technical Project Leader
The main contribution of the Technical Project Leader is the development and industrialization of new Aluminum alloys/solutions for implementation in Automotive.
The primary purpose of the technical project manager position is the management of a group of projects (~5-10 as an order of magnitude, representing an R&D budget of the order of 1-2 M€), all belonging to the automotive R&D program.
The position reports to one of C-TEC’s competency group managers, with a strong functional relationship to the the Automotive Program Manager.
Main expectations for this position are:
- To manage to deliver the projects under responsibility, to achieve cost, delay & quality expected
- To pilot internal resources from C-TEC needed for the project (R&D engineers & labs from various competencies, Industrial property team…)
- To be an interface with Constellium plants & technical sales to execute the project
- To report the project progress to Constellium top management
- To develop an automotive customer network, in close link with Constellium automotive sales/customer support
- To contribute to Constellium communication, represent Constellium during technical conferences
- To be in close cooperation with the automotive program manager, contribute to R&D program definition, leveraging a strong knowledge of the automotive market and of the BU strategy
A Direct responsibility over 3 to 5 Project Technician and possibly R&D engineers is expected
A very strong dotted line with the automotive program manager is expected.
Key accountabilities :
Under the functional responsibility of a Program Manager, lead a set of projects and ensure results are delivered in quality, on-time and on-budget
- Project objectives: Set-up project objectives by fully understanding customer expectations in close contact with the technical sales teams (TCS). Ensure double reading of the specification when it exists. Participate in relevant customer meetings.
- Kick-off meeting and technical structuration of the projects: organize kick-off meetings of projects, using agreed project management methodology. Validate approach (knowledge gaps to be closed, key decisions to be taken, gate planning…) with the Program Manager.
- Resource management: Align and motivate R&D engineers and technicians working on projects they are responsible for. Provide help whenever is required to ensure satisfactory project progression. Escalate any issue, which cannot be solved at their level to upper management (sales, plant, group managers).
- Project risk management: propose for each project a detailed risk analysis. Think about potential back-up options to ensure project stays on track both technically and time wise.
- In the define yearly budget ensure spending’s stay on-track.
- Anticipate long term market needs and propose new projects with the Program Manager
- Intellectual Property (IP): write/contribute to Innovation Records as appropriate and contribute to patent filings together with the IP team.
- Ensure good integration of new hires. Be an active coach to grow their competencies in all necessary fields. Discuss any specific training need with the Program and the Group manager.
- Be a key actor of the cultural change of the Research Center: promote project management culture within C-TEC.
- Promote a culture in which we strive for excellence in everything we do, always looking for improvement opportunities.
- Technical Project Leaders may be in charge of a team of project technicians and/or R&D Engineers in which case they have to set their priorities so that results are delivered as efficiently as possible and develop their competencies to meet current and future needs.
- Run or delegate to R&D engineers 8D or root cause analysis exercises, to be performed whenever something goes wrong in a project.
- Continuously evaluate & improve C-TEC processes, and in particular project management process.
- Communication and Networking
- Communicate on project objectives, status, priorities to all team members, including lab personnel not under direct functional responsibility.
- Provide project evaluation and project status to C-TEC management on a regular basis, asking for support whenever needed to bring the project back on track.
- Together with the relevant program manager, provide regular updates to the BU teams on project status.
- Participate in appropriate customer meetings in good coordination with TCS teams, to inform customers of project progression.
- Decide together with the Program Manager and experts IP strategy, participation in external conferences and topics for publication.
- EHS and security
- Contribute to the zero accident policy of C-TEC
- Reinforce security mind-set within project teams
- Contribute to the Environmental Constellium objectives
A Masters level degree or equivalent in Materials Science or a related physical science is required. A knowledge in metallurgy or material mechanics is highly desirable.
Experience in in an automotive environment or an equivalent industry environment is required, ideally with significant insights on aluminium casting and transformation processes.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills:
- Strong management skills to lead and inspire project teams
- Dynamism and tenacity to ensure projects are progressing at the right pace (project management skills), both internally (trial management) and at the customers.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to easily interact with different functions, build and maintain relationships with customers at operational and decision-making levels.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Solid intellectual capacity, rigor and curiosity to perform in a challenging and competitive industrial environment.
- Interest with transport industry and sustainability challenges
- In order to interact with different teams and customers, fluency in English is required. A good command In German (B1, ideally B2) is requested.
This position can require a significant amount of business trips, potentially on a worldwide basis (order of magnitude can be 20% of total time) and a certain time flexibility.