Process Metallurgist, Casting
United States, West Virginia, Ravenswood
April 15th, 2023
- The Process Metallurgist, Casting position owns the process in the production unit, in order to optimize performance, maximize material recovery, eliminate process waste and improve productivity & conversion costs through metallurgical solutions, focused improvement projects and process control. This position also maintains the quality systems requirement for customer quality satisfaction.
- Maintain and improve processing practices to improve product capability & performance, process efficiency and material recovery.
- Provide Technical expertise & support to daily activities of production unit.
- Support process development for new products
- Maintain all appropriate technical practices, customer & special process specifications and formal reports.
- Lead or participate in the investigation, data analysis and implementation of solutions to complex problems involving multiple production centers and technical aspects.
- Envision opportunities for process improvement and act on those ideas through equipment modification, process improvement, material changes, etc.
- Maintain the quality systems requirement for the production unit (internal audits, equipment calibration, CAR, PFMEA, external audits, etc.)
- Ensure full Compliance to Society and Customer specifications.
- Ensure customer quality satisfaction by managing customer claims and CAR
- Benchmark within the Industry and sister facilities to ensure site maintains processes in compliance to customer needs and at best practice levels.
- Become knowledgeable of the specific products and processes at the Ravenswood plate and coil facilities.
- Bachelors of Science in Metallurgy or Materials Science
- 3 to 5 years of experience in Manufacturing (preferably in Aluminum industry) is desired
- Casting experience strongly preferred
- Result-oriented with a data-driven, structured approach to root cause analysis and problem-solving
- Effective in working in a team environment as well as working with aggressive individual goals
- Capable of interacting and leading across multiple areas and levels of the organization.
- Leading cross-functional teams for process management and improvements
- Routine communication to management and to the shop floor about the progress of KPIs and the countermeasures in place to reach targets
- Ability to quickly evaluate situations and make timely decisions regarding operating priorities, material disposition, corrective actions, containment requirements, and communication strategy.
- Frequently deals with issues that are complex with no definitive "best practice" and multiple departments and various levels of management are needed to resolve
- Works most in collaborative problem solving with unit teams
- Authority to release tested material from the laboratory or from quality hold based on evaluation criteria
The Ravenswood operation is 24/7, there is an expectation of off-shift work from time to time as required by production or projects priorities.
It is expected that 40% of the time will be spent on the floor observing, auditing, and communicating to crews. About 30% of the time will be spent collecting and analysing data. The remaining time shall be spent in meetings, communicating, and reporting.
- APU Technical Manager
- APU Managers
- Central quality
- Reliability Engineer
- Process development metallurgists
- Reliability Managers
- Auditors & staff engineers
- Constellium research center & sister facilities
- Outside labs
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.