Innovation Engineer - Product Development H/F/X
France, Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, Voreppe
May 16th, 2023
Constellium is a world leader in the development and manufacture of high value-added aluminum products and solutions for a wide range of markets and applications, focusing in particular on aerospace, automotive and packaging. Constellium also has nearly 12,000 employees worldwide.
We are committed to minimizing the environmental impact of our operations and improving the environmental footprint of aluminum throughout the value chain.
In our company, safety is essential, it is one of our core values. Our Research and Technology Center, C-TEC Constellium Technology Center, employs about 240 people. Our research is mainly in the field of casting, aluminum transformation and surface treatment.
By joining our company, you will discover a multicultural company which is committed to diversity and the well-being of its employees.
In this context, we are looking for an Innovation Engineer able to Identify, develop and validate in an industrially relevant environment (up to TRL 5) breakthrough products and processes for application within Constellium’s existing and future businesses.
To this end, the jobholder will be expected to contribute to the ideation, project definition, and proof of concept stages of novel metallurgical solutions relevant to Constellium’s processes and markets, focusing in particular on products and processes reducing Contellium’s environmental impact.
The position will involve working in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural Research & Technology project teams. It will also involve direct connection with innovative start-ups and academic institutions as well as with Constellium’s Business Units.
Your main responsibilities:
Your mission will include the following aspects:
- Contribute to the identification of opportunities for new projects, in particular through discussions with a broad range of technologists inside and outside Constellium, ideation sessions, patent searches and work with technology scouting specialist companies.
- Transition these opportunities into viable projects by clarifying technical objectives, contributing to the preliminary business case, and developing targeted action plans.
- Drive these projects through the proof of concept stage, developing novel approaches for rapid prototyping and testing where appropriate.
- Share the knowledge thus developed through clear and high-quality reporting;
- Help to file patents when possible and relevant;
EHS and security
- Contribute to C-TEC’s zero accident policy by leading by example and taking all the appropriate actions to ensure work is performed in total safety (full compliance to all EHS rules, LSTs, incident / near miss reporting etc…);
- Contribute to the Constellium environmental objectives via alloy design (recycling ability) and process optimization;
- Reinforce security mind-set (by e.g. performing security audits, etc…).
For this position a Masters-level degree and/or a PhD in Materials Science is necessary, preferably with a focus on metals-related products or processes.
Practical and theoretical knowledge of mechanical and/or physical metallurgy is mandatory, preferably developed on aluminium-based alloys.
Knowledge of recycling technologies and/or recyclability of materials would be a plus.
Strong digital skills would be a plus e.g. experimental data analysis using e.g. R, Python or statistical packages.
Knowledge of environmental assessment methodologies and regulations would be a plus.
The ideal candidate will have at least 3 years’ experience developing metallic products, ideally involving several aluminium-based alloy systems and/or markets.
You will have demonstrated an ability to work in a multicultural environment, for example through a period of training or professional experience acquired outside your native country. In addition, perseverance, speed and proactivity to enable decision making , as well as an ability to explain complex concepts in simple terms will be key to success in this position.
You are capable of working in a team, have a can-do attitude, and demonstrate excellent communications skills.
Fluency in English (written and spoken) is mandatory. Fluency in French (written and spoken) is desirable. Fluency in German would be a plus.
By its very nature, early-stage breakthrough R&D requires the ability to assess multiple solutions rapidly in order to select the most promising. It will also generally involve wider opportunities and more varied challenges but lower success rates than more incremental projects.
Regular international travel expected.