United States, Alabama, Muscle Shoals
October 2nd, 2023
Primary Purpose: The Environmental Engineer participates in the effort of establishing and maintaining a safe and healthful environment and culture for all employees, customers, visitors, and other community stakeholders to Constellium-Muscle Shoals site.
Recommends, develops, and implements appropriate programs and activities that enhance the environmental awareness and compliance of employees, and contractors, as well as minimizes Constellium’s exposure to loss.
Ensures the highest standards of environmental safety and operational excellence by effectively managing the day-to-day operations of the site waste processes.
Leads the sustainability process at Muscle Shoals focusing efforts on general environmental, sustainable product procurement, waste elimination, toxicity reduction, energy and water improvement initiatives.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local waste permitting requirements and regulations.
- Provide support on Clean Water Act, NPDES and Clean Air Act permits, Spill Prevention Controls and Countermeasures (SPCC, Storm Water Pollution Prevention, RCRA, and groundwater protection
- Assist in compliance efforts for operations adherence to Clean Air Act, MACT Standards, Title V permitting or other air operating permits, calculations of emissions inventories, air emission reduction initiatives, and other associated air program requirements.
- Investigate employee complaints concerning exposure to hazardous materials or air pollutants; prepare, review, and update environmental investigation reports.
- Assist in management of all site waste generation, waste storage areas, and waste disposal activities including preparation of waste characterization forms.
- Participate in site waste minimization and pollution prevention programs.
- Drive compliance activities with respect to regulatory and corporate requirements
- Maintain accurate records related to chemical inventories, complaint investigations, and shipments of hazardous wastes
- Work with external consultants to perform modeling analysis and other tasks as needed.
- Keep informed of current and proposed regulations related to program areas assigned
- Design projects leading to environmental protection, such as water reclamation facilities, air pollution control systems, and operations that convert waste to energy.
- Obtain, update, and maintain plans, permits, and standard operating procedures
- Provide technical support for environmental remediation projects and legal actions
- Analyze scientific data and do quality-control checks to correct malfunctioning equipment
- Monitor progress of environmental improvement programs
- Inspect facilities and programs to ensure compliance with environmental regulations
- Evaluate significance of hazards and determine proper disposal and management methods
- Assist with other program activities as needed, including but not limited to water, air, and waste.
- Maintain oversight of site hazardous storage area and compliance to regulations.
- BS in technical discipline preferably in environmental engineering, environmental science, or related discipline and 4 years of relevant work experience; in lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED and 7+ years of relevant work experience
- Working knowledge of hazardous materials, Air and Water regulatory compliance; strong emphasis in waste including sustainability and waste minimization and reuse.
- Demonstrated functional/technical expertise and experience in other environmental competencies such as air and water regulatory compliance, waste management, including associated permitting.
- Ability to read and interpret complex regulations and to work with site to ensure compliance.
- Environmental regulatory knowledge in air, water and solid/hazardous waste.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, achieving results on time and ability to influence/negotiate with others at various levels of the organization and with regulatory agencies
- Ability to work effectively with operations, technical and maintenance personnel and to positively interact with other environmental professionals and the business to maximize results.
- Ability to take initiative, self-manage, identify what is needed and take effective action to bring change and lead/implement change while maintaining Constellium values.
- Experience in inspecting for hazardous materials and understanding processes which can produce hazardous wastes and hazardous air pollutants.
- Good interpersonal relationship skills.
- Experience in profiling, manifesting, and shipping of waste.
- Result orientation, accountability, negotiation, problem solving, project and change management, and team working/building
- Shows the initiative/self-drive needed to seek out and manage company risks.
- Good communication, high level of autonomy, collaboration and interpersonal skills are equally important
- Perform, understand and communicate detailed information analysis and evaluation, and have a good track record working effectively within a team-based environment
- Ability to work in cross-organizational and multi-functional teams
- Proficiency in computer programs / software such as Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, Access, Power Point, SAP
- The successful candidate must pass a drug screen as well as undergo a background screen which includes, but is not limited to, criminal, employment, and education verifications.
- Current Hazardous Waste Operations 40-hour certification or the ability to obtain within the first 60 days of employment.
About Constellium Muscle Shoals, Al
Constellium is a world leader in the development and manufacture of high value-added aluminum products and solutions for a wide range of markets and applications, focusing on aerospace, automotive and packaging. Constellium also has nearly 12,000 employees worldwide. We are committed to minimizing the environmental impact of our operations and improving the life cycle footprint of aluminum throughout the value chain.
In our company, safety is essential, it is one of our core values without compromise. By joining our company, you will discover a multicultural company (over 20 nationalities) which is committed to diversity and the well-being of its employees.
Constellium is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.