Metallurgy R&T Engineer
France, Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, Voreppe
January 15th, 2024
Metallurgy R&T Engineer (all genders)
Constellium is a world leader in the development and manufacture of high value-added aluminium products and solutions for a wide range of markets and applications, focusing in particular on aerospace, automotive and packaging. Constellium also has nearly 12,000 employees worldwide.
We are committed to minimizing the environmental impact of our operations and improving the life cycle footprint of aluminium throughout the value chain. In our company, safety is essential, it is one of our core values without compromise. Our Research and Technology Center, C-TEC Constellium Technology Center, based in Grenoble (Voreppe - 38), employs about 240 people.
By joining our company, you will discover a multicultural company (more than 18 nationalities) which is committed to diversity and the well-being of its employees. You will also discover an R&D center rich by its expertise and by the benevolence of its employees.
In the context of a replacement, C-TEC recruits a Metallurgy R&T Engineer.
Contribute to the development and industrialization of new Aluminum alloys/solutions for implementation in next generation applications for Constellium Aerospace, industry & Transportation markets.
To this end, the jobholder will be expected to contribute to the definition of property goals (on the basis of customer requirements), the design of the alloys and associated processes and follow experimental plans aimed at meeting these goals, and interpret the data thus generated experimentally and during industrial testing / production ramp up. The recommended solutions will have to be innovative and to take advantage of Constellium industrial assets.
The position will involve working in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural Research & Technology project team, and in direct connection with Constellium Aerospace & Transportation Business Unit plants, in association with customer technical support organization.
- Technical and Metallurgy:
- Provide project teams with metallurgical options based on scientific literature, relevant patents and Constellium knowledge review;
- Contribute to the definition of project objectives by concise description of property targets;
- Design experiments, based on C-TEC prototyping capabilities or industrial processing to test proposed options, to demonstrate innovative options;
- Gather results and interpret data, and make appropriate/solid recommendations to the BU’s plants and sometimes external customers;
- Develop and propose innovative solutions for data analysis (AI,…);
- Share the knowledge through clear and high quality reporting;
- File patents when possible and relevant;
- Increase personal metallurgical skills through international networking;
- Contribute to the Environmental Constellium objectives via the alloy design (recycling ability) and the processes optimization;
Knowledge, know-how and technical skills
A masters-level degree or engineering qualification in physical science (e.g. Materials, Engineering, Physics, Chemistry) is necessary. Demonstrated competencies in R&D (literature review, experimental methods, data analysis,) will be a plus.
The ideal candidate will have a first experience, for example during an internship, in a metallurgical engineering/laboratory environment. A focus on one of Constellium market application (aerospace, transportation, automotive or packaging) will be a plus.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment, for example through a period of training or professional experience acquired outside the native country.
- Data analysis (databases, statistics).
- Show an attraction to industrial challenges, and strong willingness to join an industrial facility after a first R&D experience.
- Be focused on results.
- Rigor, perseverance, speed; proactivity to enable decision making.
Teamwork, communication skills
Written and spoken English is mandatory;
Basic written and spoken French is also necessary to be able to interact with C-TEC Technicians.