Application & Systems Engineer
United States, West Virginia, Ravenswood
August 9th, 2022
The engineer in this position will be responsible for many of our key applications and will serve as the administrator of critical real-time data acquisition systems. This role is responsible for development of analytics and alarms to support business needs, support and growth of our visualization tools, and maintenance and enhancements to our level 2 systems.
- Develop and maintain advanced data collection systems, analytics, and visualizations
- Lead and implement projects to improve our Level 2 systems including mill rolling force models, product tracking, and reporting.
- Serve as local systems administrator for our ibaPDA systems, AVEVA PI system, and our lab LIMS system.
- Plan and implement replacement for legacy/obsolete applications and reporting systems.
- Maintain existing data historian and data trending and reporting tools to provide maximum uptime and usability.
- Participate in capital projects as the subject matter expert for data acquisition and systems communication.
- Develop data analytics to proactively detect and prevent process and/or quality excursions.
- Develop advanced live visualization tools for our facility such as dashboards and digital signage.
- Plan and implement replacement of applications that are written in Visual Basic 6.0 into modern programming language or migrate to standard off-the-shelf package.
- Specify requirements and architecture for new data acquisition needs throughout the facility.
- Works to learn industry best practices and procedures and leads documentation and implementation at our facility.
- Involved in Research & Development to help us utilize cutting-edge technology to solve problems, reduce waste, and eliminate variation.
- Work with local IT to implement better links between our material tracking system and or real-time data acquisition systems to facilitate improved reporting capabilities.
Leadership Competencies and Technical Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree: Engineering or related field
- Advanced knowledge and proficiency in programming languages such as Visual Basic, C#, FORTRAN, SQL, etc.
- Experience with Visual Basic 6.0 is a plus.
- Work with process engineers to simulate, diagnose, and modify Level 2 systems.
- Knowledge of Industrial communications – Profinet, Modbus, UDP, TCP, etc.
- Understanding of best practices for network architectures in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience with managing servers and PC in both a virtual (VMware) and physical environment.
- Experience with real-time data acquisition and reporting systems such as AspenTech ip.21, AVEVA PI, and/or ibaPDA.
- Present and communicate your ideas clearly with your teammates and customers.
- Works well with others as part of a cross-functional team and capable of working independently at times.
- Occasional off-hours support via phone, VPN, and/or On-site.
Collaborative leadership and problem solving of complex process control systems and data analytics utilizing available team resources.
Sole responsibility within delegated authority; shared responsibility must seek approval for area outside of authority.
- Area Engineers
- Central Project Engineering
- Reliability Group
- Information Systems