Metallurgy R&T Engineer PARP H/F
France, Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, Voreppe
January 26th, 2023
Constellium is a world leader in the development and manufacture of high value-added aluminum products and solutions for a wide range of markets and applications, focusing in particular on aerospace, automotive and packaging. Constellium also has nearly 12,000 employees worldwide.
We are committed to minimizing the environmental impact of our operations and improving the life cycle footprint of aluminum throughout the value chain.
In our company, safety is essential, it is one of our core values without compromise. Our Research and Technology Center, C-TEC Constellium Technology Center, employs about 240 people. Our research is mainly in the field of casting, aluminum transformation and surface treatment.
By joining our company, you will discover a multicultural company which is committed to diversity and the well-being of its employees.
Constellium is developing and industrializing a new Aluminum alloys/solutions for implementation in next generation applications in Constellium Packaging & Automotive Rolled Products markets .
To this end, we are looking to hire a Metallurgy R&T Engineer. The jobholder will be expected to contribute to the definition of property goals (on the basis of customer requirements), the design of the alloys and associated processes and follow experimental plans aimed at meeting these goals, and interpret the data thus generated experimentally and during industrial testing / production ramp up. The recommended solutions will have to be innovative and to take advantage of Constellium industrial assets.
The position will involve working in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural Research & Technology project team, and in direct connection with Constellium Packaging & Automotive Rolled Products Business Unit plants, in association with customer technical support organization.
Your main responsibilities:
Related to the project, your mission will include those several aspects:
Regarding EHS and security
- Contribute to the zero accident policy of C-TEC by leading by example and taking all the appropriate actions to ensure work is performed in total safety (full compliance to all EHS rules, LSTs, incident / near miss reporting etc…);
- Contribute to the Environmental Constellium objectives via the alloy design (recycling ability) and the processes optimization;
- Reinforce security mind-set (by e.g. performing security audits, etc…).
Regarding Technical and Metallurgy:
- Provide project teams with metallurgical options based on scientific literature, relevant patents and Constellium knowledge review;
- Contribute to the definition of project objectives by concise description of property targets;
- Design experiments, based on C-TEC prototyping capabilities or industrial processing to test proposed options, to demonstrate innovative options;
- Gather results and interpret data, and make appropriate/solid recommendations to the BU’s plants and sometimes external customers;
- Develop and propose innovative solutions for data analysis (AI,…) and properties prediction via metallurgical models (CALPHAD Approaches, Strengthening models, Recrystallisation models);
- Share the knowledge through clear and high quality reporting;
- File patents when possible and relevant;
- Increase personal metallurgical skills through international networking;
For this position A first degree or engineering qualification in physical science (e.g. Materials, Engineering, Physics, Chemistry) is required. A masters-level degree and/or a PhD in Materials Science is desirable. In addition, candidates should demonstrate competencies in R&D (literature review, experimental methods, data analysis, modeling).
The ideal candidate will have at least a first experience in a metallurgical engineering/laboratory environment. A focus on one of Constellium market application (automotive, aeronautic, transportation or packaging) will be a plus.
Your ability to work in a multicultural environment, for example through a period of training or professional experience acquired outside the native country,perseverance, speed; proactivity to enable decision making will be key to success in this position.
Knowledge and experience of machine learning/deep learning approaches and programming languages such as Python (numpy, pandas, keras, tensorflow) and C++ in Windows/Linux environments are a plus.
You master Data analysis (databases, statistics) and show an attraction to industrial challenges.
You are capable of working in a team, having a can-do attitude and demonstrate excellent communications skills. You are also able to write technical reports.
You are known for your rigour, your autonomy and your sense of self-organization.
Fluency in French and English is required for this position to be able to interact with C-TEC Technicians and German is a plus.
The main difficulty of the position is to acquire the metallurgical Constellium knowledge before designing new experiments and making recommendations.
As a shared resource between several projects, the candidate will have to manage priorities by a proper scheduling of his time work.
High number of interfaces: Project managers, C-TEC laboratories, BU/Plants representatives, customers.
In particular, the interaction with industrialization teams of Constellium plants will be key and will require some travels/trainings, especially in the initial period.
Regular international travels expected.