Project Engineer - Automation
United States, Alabama, Muscle Shoals
May 12th, 2023
Constellium is a global leader in the development, manufacturing, and recycling of aluminum products and solutions. We design and manufacture advanced alloys and engineered solutions for a range of applications, such as beverage cans, cars, airplanes across three business units: Aerospace and Transportation (A&T), Packaging and Automotive Rolled Products (P&ARP), and Automotive Structures and Industry (AS&I).
With approximately 12,000 employees around the world, we operate 27 manufacturing sites in Europe, North America, and China, and have 3 R&D centers with total revenue portfolio of €6.2 billion in 2021. We are headquartered in Paris, with corporate offices in Baltimore and Zurich. Our story dates back more than a century, but our mission remains the same: to create game-changing aluminum solutions for a circular and sustainable economy and a brilliant new day.
Job Summary: The Automation Project Engineer is responsible for day to day management of assigned CAPEX projects to ensure they meet the Constellium V-cycle and Muscle Shoals CAPEX processes. They also coordinate activities with Project Manager and ensures the engineering coherence of the projects.
- Implement the Automation and Electrical Engineering activities during the Preparation Phase (P) for passing gates 2 “Conceptual Engineering” and 3 “Project definition” including, in particular:
- the design criteria VIP (basic data list),
- the PEP (Project Execution Plan) with the associated documents for:
- the project content (drawings, specifications, schedule, costs, etc.)
- the Project Management Plan (PMP)
- the project risk analysis, EHS review and Follow-up of Corrective Measures table,
- the VIPs geared to the project
- Develop work scopes ensuring all applicable National and Constellium standards are met and referenced.
- Coordinate contractor bid meetings, respond to RFI’s, perform bid tabulations ensuring bids meet all stated specifications.
- Conduct project risk analysis, risk mitigation and contingency planning
- Track, control and report out costs
- Generate schedules for work packages and integrate into overall project schedule
- Generate outage integrated outage schedules with APU
- Coordinate outage/construction project activity with production and maintenance departments
- Track material deliveries, construction progress and resolve construction/technical issues as they arise.
- Implement Engineering activities during the Execution, testing, commissioning, startup and ramp-up production phases.
- Coordinate and supervise contractors during the construction phase together with Constellium EHS standards.
- Ensure that all pre-start checklists have been verified with contractors prior to the first power up.
- Coordinate and supervise the commissioning and startup on site.
- Participate in the project steering committee meetings organized by the Project Manager and then in the start-up meetings organized by the Client
- Promotes improvement in recovery, delivery performance, lead-time and flow time, inventory levels, costs, asset utilization, and system capability
- Applies engineering knowledge and principles to casting and rolling operations
- Draw up the project “lessons learned” information regarding activities
- Compliance with EHS, quality, costs and schedule objectives and in collaboration with the project sponsor.
- Compliance with Constellium best practices in the field of project management
- Implement the project activities defined in the general workflow (Vcycle) and per Muscle Shoals CAPEX processes as being “Engineering activities”
- Implement, together with the team, project activities defined in the general workflow as being “Client/Engineering integrated activities”
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering
- 5 + years’ experience in the execution and commissioning of CAPEX projects in a heavy industrial processing equipment, AC and DC drives, PLC'S, combustion systems, design, maintenance and/or operation of a Casting and Rolling Mill (or similar industry)
- Solid knowledge of electrical automation and controls complemented by basic knowledge of mechanics and hydraulics, ideally in specialty machines.
- 5+ years’ experience with Siemens and / or Allen Bradley Drives
- Experience developing SCADA and Operator interface applications
- Solid understanding of ladder logic, HMI software and electrical circuits
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be proficient with Microsoft Office software e.g. Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Strong problem solving, judgment, and critical thinking skills
- Aptitude for detailed work requiring a high degree of accuracy
- Good communication, high level of autonomy, collaboration and interpersonal skills are equally important
- Perform, understand and communicate detailed information analysis and evaluation, and have a good track record working effectively within a team-based environment
- Being comfortable operating in a Hot environment is required.
About Constellium Muscle Shoals
Constellium Muscle Shoals is a major aluminum sheet supplier for the packaging and automotive markets. The plant has ~1,200 employees and more than 100 acres under room, including five casting units, hot and cold rolling mills, and a slitting and finishing center. Muscle Shoals produces aluminum sheet for use in all three components of beverage cans (body stock, coated end stock, tab stock) and has the capacity to produce over 1 billion pounds per year of finished aluminum coils. The plant also produces aluminum automotive coils to be processed at our CALP line in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Muscle Shoals’ world-class recycling center is able to recycle the equivalent of 20 billion aluminum cans per year.
Constellium is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.