Happy 65th Birthday to the Aluminium Can
Today marks the 65th birthday of the recyclable aluminium can! Originally designed by Molson Coors Brewing Company with the release of the 7-ounce Coors Banquet, the aluminium can revolutionized the beverage industry, offering colder, better-tasting, longer-lasting drinks. It also launched a massive recycling effort that continues today.
Constellium continues to innovate on this classic aluminium packaging, while keeping sustainability at the forefront., Constellium is a world-leading supplier of can sheet for the packaging market with the capacity to recycle the equivalent of 32 billion used beverage cans a year.
Did you know?
- Aluminium cans are thinner and lighter than ever. In fact, they are 80% lighter than when they were introduced in the 1960’s and the wall is only as thick as a human hair. And the industry continues to innovate, making cans of all shapes and sizes that maximize branding potential and minimize waste.
- Utilizing aluminium cans means that companies stack more product on transport vehicles, allowing them to reduce transportation costs and shrink the carbon footprint created during transportation.
- Aluminium cans are recycled over and over through a “closed loop” recycling process. On average, aluminium cans contain 73% recycled content. Constellium has the capacity to recycle the equivalent of 32 billion used beverage cans per year. And, we're increasing our capacity even further with construction underway at our Neuf-Brisach plant for a new recycling center.
- Deposit programs help incentivize recycling, preserving the value of aluminium and keeping cans out of landfills.
- Germany recycles 99% of their aluminium cans, providing an excellent example to the rest of the world.
Learn more about Constellium's can sheet and other value-added products here.