Automakers and suppliers around the world use Constellium’s advanced aluminium solutions for a wide range of automotive applications.
Explore our portfolio of aluminium sheet and extrusion-based products by downloading our 3D app and/or by expanding the blocks below.
Constellium has developed a full range of automotive body sheet solutions for closure inners and outers.
Thanks to its roping and hemming performance, the Surfalex® family is particularly well-suited to the outers of hoods, doors, and trunks, as well as fenders and roofs.
- Surfalex® HF, our newest development, is an extremely formable version of Surfalex® adapted to deep-stamped visible inners like side panels.
- Surfalex® HS retains all the surface qualities of Surfalex® but with higher strength.
Constellium is the primary supplier of automotive body sheets for the closures and inner parts of the Fiat Chrysler Automotive Group’s showcase SUV, the new Alfa Romeo Stelvio. We provide Surfalex® for the hood outer and the tailgate outer upper and lower, since its high surface quality and hemming and roping properties are particularly well-suited to the Stelvio’s design. And because our high performing 5182 alloy provides the required strength and formability for complex inner parts, the Stelvio uses it for the hood inner, front and rear door inner, and tailgate inner.
The Formalex® family answers the needs of deep-stamped complex, parts such as door inners.
- Formalex® REMOTE is a uni-alloy with good formability and mechanical resistance, designed to be weldable without filler wire.
- Formalex® PLUS has been designed to optimize work hardening, isotropy, and elongation, which all enhance formability.
Auto Body Sheet
Our Auto Body Sheet offer is particularly well-adapted to the tunnel, front longitudinal, and seat reinforcements.
Our highest strength grades offer lighter solutions for demanding parts like the B-pillar.
- Strongalex® - Strongalex® high-strength alloy for structural parts is a 6xxx-series balanced property alloy with good formability in T4 temper and a typical in-service yield strength of 270 MPa.
- Ultralex® - Ultralex® has extremely high strength properties that allow for the replacement of parts made with Ultra High Strength Steel.
- Securalex® - The Securalex® family provides high-tech crash alloys for enhanced energy absorption. Securalex® HS is our latest and most innovative product for the Auto Body Sheet market. Securalex® HS is ideal for sensitive areas such as the seating, the fuel tank, and the front. This new solution is designed to provide both energy absorption and strength.
Constellium supplies aluminium Automotive Body Sheets and Crash Management Systems for the new BMW 5 Series, including its hybrid and touring models. The latest edition of the iconic BMW 5 Series saves 137 pounds (62 kg) compared to the previous model thanks to the use of lightweight materials like aluminium.
Auto Structural Components
Constellium also supplies structural components. From alloy development to extrusion and product design, to simulation, prototyping and testing to production and delivery, Constellium is a full-service Tier 1 supplier for global programs.
We offer an extensive portfolio of components, all of which are designed to customers’ specifications for strength, weight, package space, functional features and other performance characteristics. Product solutions include windshield headers, roof bows, rockers, longitudinals, engine cradles and other custom components.
Constellium is the largest supplier of high-strength extruded aluminium structural components for the groundbreaking aluminium-intensive Ford F-150 and Super Duty trucks. We supply several aluminum parts, including the windshield header, a complex component that reduces weight as well as the number of parts required in comparison with the steel version it replaced.
- Constellium HSA6TM range
Constellium HSA6TM is our new family of high-strength 6xxx aluminium alloys offering superior formability, corrosion resistance, energy absorption, and recyclability. The new alloys were designed for aluminum extrusion-based products such as Crash Management Systems, Body-in-White structural components and battery enclosures. They allow designers to optimize extrusion shapes and reduce wall thicknesses to fit tighter packaging spaces and achieve a weight savings of 15-30 percent when compared to conventional aluminum alloys. In other scenarios, Constellium HSA6TM is able to provide 15-30 percent additional strength to reduce intrusion in the event of a crash. This is important to protect vehicle occupants, but also to preserve the integrity of the vehicle and reduce potential repair costs.
Constellium HSA6TM was honored at the 2017 Altair Enlighten Awards, the automotive industry’s only award for vehicle lightweighting, taking Runner Up in the Enabling Technology Category.
For automakers, enhancing the safety of drivers, passengers, and pedestrians is a top priority. Constellium’s superior design capabilities mean we can offer the most innovative Crash Management Systems to our customers. Aluminium is the ideal material for CMS components thanks to its superior energy absorption and crash behavior.
The CMS improves vehicle safety in the event of a collision, protecting not only the occupants, but the vehicle itself, which helps to minimize the cost of repairs.
Crash Management Systems are located in the front and rear of an automobile. They feature one (or two) aluminium bumper beams and two (or four) crash boxes.
Thanks to our new Constellium HSA6TM family of high-strength 6xxx alloys, we can reduce the bumper’s weight by 15-30% compared to traditional aluminium solutions. At the same time, our solutions provide high levels of formability, corrosion resistance and recyclability.
Constellium also provides safety components such as radiator supports and U-struts.
Constellium supplies aluminium Crash Management Systems and Automotive Body Sheets for the new PEUGEOT 3008.
Constellium supplies the aluminium front Crash Management System for the vehicle, including a lower beam for enhanced pedestrian safety, and also provides aluminium coils and sheets for the inner and outer hood panels and for the fenders.
Constellium specializes in designing and producing battery enclosures that meet automakers’ goals for performance and cost.
Providing Lightweight Protection
Battery enclosure assemblies safeguard the batteries in electric and hybrid vehicles from puncture or intrusion, thereby protecting passengers and others, as well as the environment, from potentially hazardous conditions. Structural battery enclosures must meet lightweight targets to achieve overall vehicle dynamics.
Advanced Aluminium Solutions
We supply complete battery enclosure assemblies for Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles and Battery Electric Vehicles. These are designed, rapidly prototyped, and produced from superior aluminium alloys. Our aluminum battery enclosures are engineered to resist crash and intrusion and to cool individual modules using innovative materials, design and joining technologies.
- Feature superior materials such as high-strength Constellium HSA6TM and crushable Constellium HCA6TM, as well as our 3xxx, 5xxx and 6xxx alloy sheets.
- Can integrate CALD Solutions, Constellium’s integrated cooling structures, to manage temperature and optimize battery life and performance
- Offer the latest joining technologies, such as Friction Stir Welding, adhesive bonding and self-piercing rivets
- Provide full structural integration
Constellium supplies customized profiles, tubes, and bars for chassis and mechanical parts, including:
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS) housings
- Anti-vibration systems
- Shock absorbers
- Other custom vehicle components
We design cut-to-length extrusions to meet the performance requirements of individual customers in terms of strength, precision tolerance, fatigue, and laser marking.
Constellium’s Děčín plant in the Czech Republic is the largest integrated hard alloy facility in Europe. In May 2017, the plant signed a multi-year contract with Robert Bosch to supply Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) profiles for the automotive industry. We will supply additional long-term solutions to Bosch plants worldwide and expect the overall volume at the Děčín plant to double, subject to market demand.Close
With extensive expertise in thermal applications, Constellium is one of Europe’s leading suppliers of aluminium rolled products for heat exchangers (engine cooling and climate-control systems).
Original equipment manufacturers increasingly use high-performance aluminium alloys for thermal management. In addition to being cost-effective and efficient to produce, rolled aluminium products are ideal for thermal transfer applications.
We have designed aluminium alloys for the following applications:
- Tubestock for radiators, charge air coolers, condensers, and heater cores
- Plates for evaporators, water charge air coolers, and oil coolers
- Headers and side plates for any brazing application
Our new Kool X™ solution is ideal for demanding heat exchanger applications, such as water charge air coolers (WCACs) and evaporators. It provides excellent brazability and resistance to fatigue and corrosion.Close
Constellium is a global leader in the production and supply of aluminium functional-surface products that are increasingly used in automotive decorative display. Our bright or structured surfaces meet the high surface quality and shine required for inner and outer automotive applications.
Our range of aluminium rolled products includes various surface finishes that contribute to interior and exterior decoration for inner and outer parts, including doors, cockpit, center console, still plates, nameplates, pedals, speaker grille, buttons, window trims and hood ornaments.
Staybright™ is a long-lasting, brilliant aluminium product used in exterior decorative trims for cars. With Staybright, cars can be washed repeatedly with high pH products without losing their trim brilliance and if anodized, require no additional layer of coating.Close
Consistent performance under challenging operating conditions is critical for motor sport components. Keeping this in mind, Constellium has developed novel additive manufacturing aluminium alloys, specifically designed for powder bed AM. The products are not blends or composite materials, and the absence of critical raw materials makes these alloys a sustainable choice for rapid prototyping, small series production and future scale-up.
Aheadd® HT1 is the most suitable additive manufacturing alloy for applications which need high strength and service temperatures up to around 250°C. The high thermal stability of Aheadd® HT1 makes it as an ideal choice to replace selected titanium or steel AM applications to reduce the component weight and cost. The higher thermal conductivity of aluminium over titanium may bring additional advantages.
Aheadd® CP1 is an additive manufacturing alloy packed with many features. High strength & ductility, excellent surface finishing characteristics, thermal and electrical conductivity approaching that of pure aluminium, very high printing speed and simplified post-processing make Aheadd® CP1 the solution of choice for wide range of aluminium AM applications. Aluminium AM heat exchangers are ideally suited to Aheadd® CP1.
For both alloys, component properties can be adjusted by tuning the post-build stress-relief treatment. This simplifies post-processing by eliminating the need to solution treat, quench and age, and also minimizes the risk of distortion of printed components during post processing.
Targeted Market, Application & Value drivers
|Motorsport / Automotive||
Engine and structure manufacturers
High ends cars
• Engine components with service temperatures above 150°C, replacing selected titanium AM applications.
• Complex structural components
• High strength at low and elevated temperatures;
• High thermal stability;
• Good corrosion resistance;
• Robust AM process window with good productivity;
• Geometric control: simplified post-processing with no quench requirement.
• Heat exchangers with complex geometries (including service temperatures above 150°C);
• Components or housings which need good thermal or electrical conductivity e.g. in hybrid/electric vehicles;
• Rapid Prototyping;
• Components for wind tunnel testing;
• Large & complex components;
• Visible parts (aesthetics);
• Cost-effective improvement of existing aluminium AM solutions in Al-Si alloys/
• High thermal stability;
• High thermal and electrical conductivity;
• High strength and ductility;
• Ability to print highly complex & large parts without cracking;
• Geometric control: low residual stresses, simplified post-processing with no quench requirement;
• Excellent surface finishing capabilities (polishing/anodizing);
• Cost reduction: high printing productivity and reduced need for support structures (no quench).